Friday, November 12, 2010

What kind of cranberries did the recipe call for?

Dear family and friends,

When Ed was in high school he had this awful experience that we were very reminded of last night.

He was sitting at lunch with his faithful tuna sandwich when several people at his table questioned it. Apparently it had quite a funky smell, but he swore up and down his mother had made it for him and was extremely adamant that if his mother sent it for him, he knew it was good.

He confidently took a bite, then quickly fled to the trash can to spit it out as quickly as possible. It baffled him, his mother would never send something nasty.

Then it dawned on him, about two weeks before he had brought a lunch that he ended up not needing. It had been rotting in his locker for two weeks before the infamous day where he claimed his mother would never do him wrong.

Last night was a typical crazy Thursday evening. I had dinner ready as we were going to be eating in shifts. Ed had the day off for Veteran's day and the vast majority of The Troops were at the gym. Then I had to grab Caroline for PT and a quick commissary run. I had made a lentil rice pilaf. At the gym I had told Ed you just needed to stir in fresh spinach, cranberries, and sunflower seeds. Normally I would throw it all in right before we all ate, but since we were in shifts we would need to do this step individually. I'd made this before, but it's been years.

Easy enough right?

When I got home Ed and Wyatt had headed off to hockey. I came in to find the cranberries on the counter; the fresh cranberries that I had used to make bread last weekend. The cranberries I had left were sweet dried ones.

I hadn't caught on yet.

Jefferson then said, "Mommy your dinner is good, but Daddy didn't make me eat the cranberries." I questioned him as I still didn't understand.

The girls had come in by then and I now understood and was rolling with laughter.

Ed had put fresh cranberries, at least a dozen, in his and Wyatt's bowl. Wyatt was pained after the first bite but Ed was confident. "If this is what Mom had planned, we're going to eat it son," he announced...and so they did.

I was so proud that his confidence in me was as strong as that day in high school with his tuna fish sandwich. I can only imagine they were both gross.

I love my mans loyalty, what a worthy character trait I want to continue to grow in myself and our children...

Love in Christ,
Dinah for the Troops