Friday, May 22, 2009

I just love this man...can I stop and say that right here in the middle?

Dear family and friends,

I know I talked about a picture over two weeks ago. I'd love to share a picture every day, with a story of God's goodness, or faithfulness, or whatever we might see Him doing. He's at work all the time, not just when I see Him...I'm so grateful for that.

It's very appropriate that I post this picture today and God has used this day to reconfirm His plans. ALL OF THEM...

Last year when we found out we were moving to Hawaii the great car fest began. One point that I had concluded many years ago is that when military families move overseas they just loose money on cars. Buying and selling cars is expensive and most of the time, necessary. It's a sacrifice we make, all part of serving the country we love.

So we started where we always should...prayer. It was quickly concluded that we would ship the van (that is now over 11 years old) and keep the Honda. Ed's car has been fantastic and we have been so grateful for it. It's reliable with very low millage and we weren't overly interested in getting rid of it for two years while we were on the island. Both of our parents were willing to help, they serve our country to in their continued service to us by the way.

So with all the quick decisions we were having to make, it was a welcomed and delightful call when Daddy said he would be willing to fly up to D.C. and drive the Honda to Texas where they live. He couldn't make it until ski season was over, but he was coming.

We started praying about buying an island car for when we arrived in Hawaii. God is ALWAYS faithful to go ahead of us. We just get to watch it all unfold.

Before we even got here the gal Ed was replacing was gracious and kind and offered up her car for the year. Anne was heading to Baghdad and was more than happy to share and keep the car running. We really had to pray about her generous offer. To borrow a car from a friend for that long would be a big deal, but from a stranger. As we prayed, God quickly gave us peace that this was His provision. We have been so grateful.

The "plan" (ours not God's) was to buy a little island car for the 15-16 months that were left. The "plan" changed the moment we found out we were moving to London. So again, we began to pray. It was one of those things though that I just had to pray about and then move on while waiting for God to make things clear. I could have worried, but worry is not from the Lord. In fact, it's sin, telling God He doesn't have it all under control, when He clearly does. Worry does nothing to fix anything and by His grace, I choose not to do it.

We also had other car decisions to make...ship the van, sell the Honda, buy a used car here, leave the van on the island. Lots of options in which all had good and bad points. All of this to say, in the past two weeks God has given us a peace about leaving the van on the island and waiting to see what are options are as it unfolds once we are in London. We gave back Anne's car in April and have been sharing a car which was now the new "plan" which we were going to do until we leave.

So to my picture. I just love this man, can I stop and say that right here in the middle? This picture cracks me up. It's so Ed...



I drove up a few weeks ago and there was our bike, right up at the front of the building in his reserved parking space. Parked, just like his car, with his helmet hanging there on the handle bars.

My parents are coming on Tuesday, which is another blog in and of itself. I've already made arrangements for a rental car for the week that Ed is taking off. Today my sweet husband called and told me I could cancel our reservations.

Anne emailed him today and said that next week she would like to drop the car back off and could we drive it until the end of August.

It was such confirmation of the decision we made to not buy another car here and to leave the van. I was so excited this afternoon. It was such a clear reminder of how God has this all under control, that His plans are best, and that He is worthy of our trust.

God has it all under control...cars, our children's education, timing of seeing my parents, vacations, London flats, dogs, piano and violin teachers, travel arrangements, military hops, houses, moves, sickness, math curriculum, renters, mortgages, new dentist, life, death. I know that it's a pretty big jump from new dentist to life and death, but it's true. Not just the little things in life, but the big things too. All, not just some, but all.

Thank you Lord, that you have everything under control, that you are Sovereign of all. Thank you for being trustworthy and faithful. Please help me to continue daily to see your great hand of provision.

Love in Christ,
Dinah for The Troops

P.S.-It's six a.m. and the birds are singing His praises while I just heard a boat horn on the canal that heads to Pearl Harbor. It's a good day to be in Hawii...