Sunday, May 16, 2010

What does not change?

Dear family and friends,

Directly to the east, across the street that is, Victoria Station stands boldly. We live in a red brick building above the Starbucks, which still makes me giggle. The new American dream, to live above Starbucks.

Directly to the west is Belgravia. We live on the very edge. It's a beautiful old wealthy neighborhood. I googled it to find this description, "It was one of London's most fashionable residential districts from the beginning (early 1800's), and remains so to this day. It is a relatively quiet district in the heart of London, contrasting with neighbouring districts which have far more busy shops, large modern office buildings, hotels, and entertainment venues. Many embassies are located in this area, especially in Belgrave Square."

I'm working hard to run three times a week and always run to the west. I love running in through my neighborhood, around Belgrave Square (which is where Ed attends school), and up to Hyde park.

As new as we are to London, I love our own little history. I glance down at Mrs. Thatcher's house, go past the Scottish Caledonian club where we celebrated Robert Burns, turn towards the window where I sit when I go to school with Ed, and by a friends mews house on the way home. Although our history is short, it is history.

Running in a older neighborhood, age of course being relative, I'm also reminded of change. Daily there is new scaffolding, old paint being chipped away, repairs being made, remodeling commencing, an ongoing menagerie of sorts.

Last week as I ran past some construction or should I say reconstruction, I thought about how God is forever working in my heart. Peeling off old, replacing with new, making changes, fortifying, ect. I'm so grateful He continues to persevere and does not sleep or slumber.

The changes in our lives continue to come rapidly. Often great changes, but none the less, change can certainly take time and can be unsettling at moments or even for seasons. Many days as a military wife I have thanked the Lord for being the one thing in my life that does not change.

This morning He reminded me again in the book of Malachi, "I the Lord do not change." It's not because he doesn't want to or is unable to, it's because He's complete, perfect, and holy...there is no need to.

Love in Christ,
Dinah for The Troops