Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Have you been banging them out lately?

Dear family and friends,

Last week we were having Bible time one morning and I asked a question. First I just asked it in general, but then I thought it would be best to see if Jefferson had anything to say on the matter.

"Jefferson, did you hear Mommy's question? Do you ever have thoughts that don't honor God?", I asked. "Oh, yes Mommy I do. It's okay though because I just bang them out of my head!" Now as he says this, of course the whole banging himself in the head motion that only a little boy can do justice to, quickly follows.

After the laughter dies down Melanee Kate pipes in, "Jefferson, the Bible calls that taking a thought captive." Jefferson insisted, "I just call it banging out thoughts that don't honor God."

They are both graphic don't you think...taking captive, banging. These actions are both active and decisive, not lingering and indecisive. They are quick, full of purpose, and forceful.

I have to admit that I'd brought the whole issue up because of my own heart, because I had had something just the day before that I needed to bang out...immediately. God is so good when I take these things to him in precise timing. The sin isn't in the thought, it's the lingering and indecisiveness that leads us down the road of danger. I want to honor God in my thoughts, not just my actions. The two are intricately intertwined, don't you think?

Love in Christ,
Dinah for The Troops