Thursday, June 4, 2009

Do you ever "feel" alone?

Dear family and friends,

Our timing with my parents is flying by but being enjoyed and treasured second by second. More on that later.

This week I've been reminded of something that happened to me a little over six years ago and wanted to share it with you. I have a friend who is really struggling this week and my precious sister has been incredibly sick in D.C. She is "alone" with my nieces while her sweet husband is protecting our freedoms in Iraq.



I had a small place on my neck that I had checked out at the clinic and they quickly said it was precancerous and needed to be removed. Not a big deal, just a quick procedure. Ed and I agreed that we didn't need to get a babysitter, but he would sit with the children in the car and read to them while it was accomplished.

Everything was going according to plan until they put me on a surgical table with an enormous light and brought out this incredible needle and a knife that I should have never seen. They had me tilt my neck back as far as I could. It was the first moment that I had some inkling of what a lamb might feel like being taken to slaughter. It's a great thing that lambs are not particularly bright animals and have no idea what's really coming.

At that moment I cried out to God saying, "Oh Lord, if I'd known, I would have secured a babysitter at all costs so Edward could be with ME, not our children!" I was missing my sweet husbands touch and comfort like never before.

The Lord quickly and surely replied in my heart, "Dinah, I am enough...".

My heart lept as I knew He was so right. I was not alone, although I felt alone. I could proclaim truth, not how I felt. I quickly sank into the arms of Jesus like I had never before in my life. I have never felt so loved or cared for in my entire life, my Lord was enough, and in no way was I alone. I did not apologize when it was all over and they sat me up with a huge grin on my face proclaiming the goodness of God!

I've claimed this many times in the last six years as it is truth. I am a child of the King, and He is ALWAYS with me. I will never be alone one moment on this earth, no matter how I feel, I can choose truth. My God is enough!

I still thank God for that moment, I am so grateful He allowed me to learn to trust Him in new ways. I am so grateful He allowed me that moment of His presence that I know I will enjoy eternally someday.

Life can be overwhelming at times, it can be hard. I am so grateful that my friend and my sweet sister have not been alone this week...

Love in Christ,
Dinah for The Troops

"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8