Friday, January 15, 2010

Why was one officer's story so special?

Dear family and friends,

We just had our Friday night pizza (1 pound a pizza from our local grocery), a week of school under our belts (great victory this week...taking writing by a storm with those middle two), the flat it clean (the upside of 1200 square feet, doesn't take long to clean with four children in tow), and we are ready for the weekend.

This week was filled with "overseas" moments. I was so grateful for our previous overseas experience and that God has had us focusing on humility and dealing with irritations in a way that pleases Him. You should just expect opportunities to practice when you are studying such things in God's Word.

We still don't have a phone line, Ed spent hours at the bank, I spent hours trying to get our Paypal accounts to work, Ed wrestled with his issued computer, etc, etc, etc.

We also had some fantastic highlights:

On Sunday we had a taste of what it's going to be someday to worship the Lord with the nations people from so many countries. It was one of those moments where you know the Lord is letting you have a minuscule glance.

I had so much fun watching Ed in his civilian clothes, I wonder how long it's going to seem like a sport?

We had SERIOUS victory in school with one particular child and one particular subject...I still can hardly believe it. I've always known it wasn't a concept issue.

A DEAR neighbor who has climbed right into our hearts let me call my mother for an hour and a half. We'd only talked about five minutes in over a month.

Ed had an amazing week at school...truly an experience of a lifetime! We have been very aware that we could have come this far, made all of this effort, and the school be okay. Certainly not the case.

I was able to go with Ed last night to the Royal Air Force Club, The food was fantastic (although we've not eaten outside of London, so far we are not buying this whole food in London is horrible as it just hasn't been our experience), the art mind boggling (laughing out loud last night about a German officer last year who was meticulously looking at all pictures hopeful for a German plane...wrong country buddy...we finally found one, but he was belly up and heading to the ground), but the company just couldn't be beat!

The Polish officer was quotable. In response that Ed was Public Affairs and works with the media he replied, "I just spent a long time in Afghanistan as an artillery officer , I'll face down the Taliban any day, but just don't ever make me face the media."

The Nigerian officer is a delight. His laugh begs you to smile.

The officer from another country, well I will never forget. He shared how he sent his girls to France after high school in order to make a better lives for themselves. He had to proclaim to them, there was nothing left for them in their country, and he sent them away. It's the reason he is so thrilled to be here, to be close to France, to see his girls.

At lunch I had a moment to share all that this Brigadier General had to say with our children. We've discussed for years how people make enormous changes in their lives, their geography, their very being...for their children. It made me think of all the immigrants who brought their children to America, with much danger and sacrifice, to give them something else, something more. It's been very thought provoking.

He also offered the most hysterical, quizzical, and confused face I'd ever seen when we explained to him that we tutor our children at home. "Homeschool" is not a word that is very understood across the nations, we are discovering. I've also never been quizzed and listened to in quite the same way. We can hardly wait to have him in our home, and for our children to meet him.

Next week is going to be quite busy. Hopefully we will get the rest of our belongings, Wyatt broke a bracket on his braces today so the orthodontist adventure begins on Monday, the children and I will be heading to Ed's school on Wednesday to have tea with the other spouses, and have lunch with Daddy. Ed and I have a function one night at the Automobile something or other club, and Kari Ray is going to be my bright Ray of sunshine Monday morning to stop and be in God's Word together at Starbucks. It will be the first time I don Starbucks since we now have Internet in our apartment.

There are so many little things I've been learning...I can't wait to show you my Brussel Sprouts picture, but I won't until I have time to tell you the infamous story!

Love to all...
In Christ Alone,
Dinah for The Troops