Sunday, January 3, 2010

Are The Thomas Troops really going to be settled?

Dear family and friends,

So here I sit on a Sunday afternoon. We had a wonderful morning of worship at All Soul's with a trip on the way home to our "favorite" Irish pub (Mc-Donald's). The children announced they had not eaten at McDonald's since Alaska...depravity at its finest.

I want to get these pictures up and running. I've been working on them for days (a moment here, a moment there) and still don't feel like I'm doing this justice. Either way, here they come.

We are going to read aloud this afternoon as we are back on top of reading Les Miserables. Only four hundred pages left to go. Marius and Cosette finally spoke and declared what had been embedded in their hearts just yesterday afternoon.

We're also packing up our family for the 21st time since the 15th of October. Tomorrow is the big day! Early in the morning a van that Edward has hired will be coming to pick up all of our suitcases and odd's and ends. I will travel over with the girls and Jefferson by tube. Walking to church a child and I mused at the fact that we've never moved by subway!

Tomorrow night I will dreamily sleep in our own bed...in the meantime I am so grateful for all that God has done in our lives and hearts during this leg of our journey in life. So, until August, we are settled. It's such a great reminder to me that this is a quick moment, our time here on this side of heaven. The only place where we will permanently reside...





We had 13 bags heading to London along with carryons. It was a crazy moment as we did this with my sweet parents at the Denver airport 21 months ago. I was so grateful to be traveling WITH my sweet Ed this time that the luggage didn't phase me. Relieved to get it all in the bags after mailing two large boxes in order to get everything to London.




We spent four nights in London before we headed to Rome. We didn't arrive til almost sunset and then spent the next five hours roaming through Rome. It was majestic. This picture is in front of the Pantheon. This was about fifteen minutes after Jefferson announced he wanted to be an archaeologist and he thinks we should retire in Rome.


An Aggie took our picture here in front of the Trevi fountain. It's always amazing when you travel who God puts in your path. We even had a mutual college friend.




We loved the Egyptian section. The highlight for the boys being the 4000 year old mummies...his and hers to be exact. Wyatt did such a fantastic job on this trip making sure no one got lost, always counting us and being the caboose. It's exciting to see how he's maturing and learning to be a protector is one way we are watching.


The Vatican museum not only has an amazing collection, but the building and grounds are fantastic in and of themselves. The only time I'd been there was by myself 10 years ago. In that moment of having three young ones I was grateful to have an adventure by myself. This time I was so grateful to have them with me!



We thought the little guy looked like a commercial, although he is certainly not for sale. We were eating pizza right in front of the Coliseum. We had lengthy conversations over at least a weeks time about this historical site.



This is up on Palestine Hill above the forum. Rome is known for many things including history, architect, food, ambiance, and gelato...but being with our children was hands down the best!



The Shaw's were so sweet to jump into this Thomas adventure! We met the Shaw's over 13 years ago when Ed and John were Air Force Interns at the Pentagon. We've lived in the same town THREE times which is a God thing considering Ed is PA and John is Space. We are so grateful for iron in our lives...




We had two nights on the ship that were formal. This night Ed evacuated our room and let the girls take over. It was so much fun! I can hardly believe that these children are so grown. When we first met the Shaw's Caroline was still sleeping in diapers, Wyatt was not walking, Rachel had that binky going double time, Melanee Kate was growing inside, and Tim and Jefferson were distant dreams.

Caroline and Rachel in Tunisia walking through amazing old and winding streets. These girls also had a great time bartering. Caroline had had her first bartering experience last year in Thailand. Rachel jumped right in there.

Caroline in Carthage...the ruins were breathtaking. The thing that was mind boggling is the ruins we experienced were 2000 years old Roman ruins. When the Romans showed up they obliterated Carthage and their 2000 year old civilization and then built up. I wonder if those Eygptian mummies, that we saw in Rome, had ever travelled to Carthage in Africa....same time period. Just wondering...


Do you think heaven will be filled with column's and arches? Maybe?


We did a little rug shopping in Tunisia. This was particularly fun to watch Tonia as she'd done quite a bit of rug shopping for the two of us several years ago. I was so grateful to all be together this time! Please notice Miss Melanee Kate...oh how she has always loved Col (Lt.Col/Maj./Capt.) Shaw.




This is my sweet husband buying me jewelry! At this point I think Ed would have bought me jewelry just to get this man to leave him alone. It would have been worth the money to end this man's pursuit.





Melanee Kate so desired to ride this camel. She loves to care for horses out at her grandparents and she was very excited to see the differences in riding a horse and a camel. Please notice the gentleman who was leading her on his cell phone. Whoever he was talking to had this mans attention which bought MKate a longer ride.




Parenting in Malta...


Most of my pictures of Caroline involve her camera. We had more fun taking pictures and she does such a great job. Tim and Jefferson were having the greatest time riding artillery shells. These boys can play war just about anywhere, and they did. You should have seen the creations they made one day in Italy out of straws, toothpicks, and empty sugar packets.



What a fine crew we have here...God is so good to give me a friend like Tonia Shaw. We are so alike in many ways and yet so different in others. Our similarities bind us, and our differences broaden and stretch us both. Thank you Tonia for being my friend. May we always love, serve, and ponder our creator!




Now is that an awesome picture or what! Ed's training in photography from the USAF does come in handy...of course willing subjects help.


Again...being with these children was hands down the best part of our trip. Music lessons, tennis, work, and school are daily and worthy pursuits. On the other hand, being together, every once in a while without these responsibilities is a treat.

This is one in a series of hysterical pictures. The guys had surprised us with an afternoon away in the spa, on the ship. In this picture we are reenacting, for the children, the two of us trying to get settled into the ever moving waters of the enormous whirlpool, trying not to touch the Italian men around us. The boat was rocking and rolling at this point and everyone seemed to be quite stable, except us. Unfortunately, at this point, to add to the scenario, we got tickled. We were clinging to each other and the rails and looked more like Lucy and Ethel than anyone on the ship at that particular moment. By the time we were settled we had the whole room in laughter...some with us and some at us. A great highlight that money could never buy. Just one of those fun moments in life that could never be ordered.




The day we spent in Olympia Jefferson picked many wildflowers for me. I still haven't seen our pictures from our small camera which was the main camera I was using that day. At some point I just may have to upload the video of the mothers and children running across the original Olympic field! I need to explain this whole running thing God has had me experiencing anyway.


Christmas Eve...and the only picture that we have of the ten of us. Having just one picture of the ten of us was not my choice by the way. The men looked so handsome! We talked a lot about how we should celebrate Jesus in our nontraditional setting. The most important goal being that we honor, worship, and celebrate Him. Christmas day was a treat...including a great brunch, a four hour walk in Corfu, reading His Word, and Colonel Shaw ending the day reading The Gift of the Magi. He read this to the children on New Years Eve in Alabama five years before and it was requested specifically by the Thomas children.

Another series of pictures that are really funny, but I just choose a great one at the end. When I see this picture it quickly brings me back to a little binky baby who used to LOVE to run in circles in the circular baby bed that we had. Rachel's the only baby who ran so many laps that I finally had to pull her out and pop her in the rectangular pack and play to end her exercise. I giggle every time I think of a roaring four year old or a second grader who only seemed to stop her motion when sleeping or nestling with her Daddy. Rachel, you are doing such a lovely job, by the grace of our God, growing up. I am so pleased with you love. It delights my heart to be with you and you still make me laugh in the strangest of places. Keep loving Him love...

Tim has been taking dancing classes and I have to say he is getting his parents money's worth! Can this baby who sat on my hip for three days straight while his parents had a few nights away really be swinging Mkate around the dance floor? What a great sense of humor he has. It's so much fun to watch his sharp mind in action! I have no doubt Master Timothy, that you are going to be a fine man who loves and serves Jesus with the talents you have been given...

Christmas morning...started off with prayers and Bible reading in our jammies. One present to be shared. You couldn't open your eyes until it was your turn. We had Wyatt go last...

My favorite picture of Kate...this is such a Kate moment! This was taken up on a fortress in Corfu.


John Shaw is the man that Ed has had the most opportunity to run with all these years. The running thing is one of the items God used to catapult us into this relationship. This is their first running picture that I'm aware of...well, except the one we took the day before in Olympia, but it was really only a saunter for these two. Many miles have been pounded out between these four legs and all the while discussing much Air Force doctrine, fiesty wives, precious children, and deep theology. They love to run together while pontificating. What a great receipe...exercising the body, mind, and soul. Thank you John Shaw for being a dear friend to my sweet husband. I thank the Lord for your friendship and know that you are both better husbands, fathers, officers, and followers of Christ because of it.



Doesn't he look European? Edward could have really blended right in if wasn't for the five of us following him. In two days we celebrate our nineteenth anniversay. I can hardly believe it. Twenty years ago this week God made if very clear to me that I would travel around the world to share Jesus. Little did I know...
Lord, may we honor you no matter where we go or what we do. Thank you for this experience of seeing people you love, places you created, and for being together. Being a family is a precious thing...something I pray we always treasure. It sure does take a lot of hard work living with five other sinners, who have to live with a sinner like me. It also makes me see everyday how I need you Lord, how I will always miss the mark on this side of heaven. Thank you for the growth you have brought, the grace you continually give, and the love you bestow. Help us to always share this love with others...
Love in Christ,
Dinah for The Thomas Troops