Thursday, July 22, 2010

What preparations are you making?

Signing medical clearance documents. This was actually a momentous occasion as I was allowed to sign our own children's education forms which is not normally allowed. Don't get me started on how I feel about taking papers to a school and having them sign for our children whom they've never met! Don't get me started...
The first bag to be packed filled with school books! We start school before we get our hold baggage. In the past year I've hauled our school over five to six oceans depending on how you want to count it.
Traipsing through London enjoying the last days and checking off the final things Mama wanted to see. LOVED the Transportation Museum! Yesterday the boys took off to the Imperial War Museum and enjoyed an evening in the theatre to see Stomp. The girls and I stayed home to pack, clean, and organize.
Five children for two weeks plus...Steven Dahl has been a wonderful guest and has really just jumped into the swing of whatever. Thank you Steven for just being a part of our family.
So I get these little things in my mind that somehow become important to me. This may sound silly, but McDonalds is one of those consistent things in our crazy lives. It's a treat and although it's certainly not nutritious, it's a taste we know filled with memories of our lives. I also feel this way about Chili's but we don't see them as often as McDonalds. I should not publically say it was my favorite meal in Morocco so I won't. Every time I walked by this particular window in London I've thought it would make a great picture. We got up at 5:15 AM on Wednesday to go and take pictures in London without a million people in our pictures. The children get the gold star for their sweet sweet attitudes!



Dear family and friends,

I feel so torn this morning.

On one hand I'm filled with sadness as I can't believe it's really over. The packers start today.

On the other hand I'm filled with joy and excitement as my heart is bursting with gratefulness at all that God's done and all that God's provided. I could spend an afternoon with you over tea talking double time, and you know I would. I wouldn't begin to really do it justice. I would share about the people we've met from all over the world, how we've seen God's goodness in new and exciting ways, and how I've seen the Lord working in the hearts of our children. The last could take a day in and of itself. I'd only be able to hit the tip of the iceberg.

The last of our time is filled to the brim with goodness. Tomorrow we are spending time with a sweet family from Hawaii. On Sunday our friends from Colorado are having lunch with the adults. They live in England and are coming in for the day. Next Thursday and Friday we will be immersed in time with my library friend from long ago. We lived together in DC, spent time together while we lived in different countries in Europe, and lived together in DC once again. The consistency that God continues to provide for our family amidst this crazy lifestyle we lead boggles my mind.

We also have a party tonight, a BBQ next Wednesday, a luncheon next Friday, and my dear Maggie will be taking care of dinner Monday night. We have three days of packers. Did I mention we had company this past week for a night and we have a house guest? Well, he's really been more like one of the family. One more to love and care for which is always worthy of my time.

In the middle of all that is going on my emotions are full to the brim. I'm not ready. I think I feel somewhat like you might when a child leaves for college or gets married. I'm not quite certain but I'd be glad to confirm it for you in a few years.

It's made me realize that in the past, no matter what or who I'm leaving, I've always been ready. Not that I don't have sad moments and not that I don't always miss the people who are left behind. Walking away from my precious sister in DC two and half years ago was a very difficult thing to do. Please don't get me wrong...I always miss people. I think it's God's grace in my life though as I am always ready.

Maybe in eight days I'll be ready as either way, we're going. I'm continuing to claim in my heart and out loud in our home that God's timing is good and perfect. I can't tell you how much I believe this and I know it's true. An opportunity to live out my faith, to believe what is true, and to let my actions and heart follow the Lord's best plan.

On the other hand, I have three you know, most mothers do...I can hardly believe that we are moving to Alaska! ALASKA...there is literally no place in the world that we would rather be going. How's that for a swing of emotion?

The job is going to be hard, but a sheer privilege to serve our country and American families who work so hard to protect our freedoms. We've watched America take a beating on many days at Ed's college. We know she's not perfect and my man continues to be incredibly gracious. America is filled with things that I would love to change, but our freedoms are not one of them.

The Smith's are waiting for us! I can hardly believe God is allowing this. I've written about them before. We heard about them in Colorado, met them in Alabama, spent time with them in Montana, and learned to live life together in Hawaii. This will be our fourth assignment together and one of those precious treasures that the Air Force (via Jesus) has given us. They've already purchased our new van and will picking us up from the airport in it. This is literally the third move we've had where God has provided the Smith family for a smooth transition. They help us on the way in town and we serve them on the way out. It's a great little system we have!

Preparations surround me. Preparations for the move. What am I forgetting? Of course, I've learned over these years there is very little that you can't really do without. Actually, nothing that I can think of. I would love to have my white dress that I was planning on wearing to the change of command. I wore it on our last day in Hawaii and think it's in my closet at Mother and Daddy's.

Preparations for the future also abound. We land on Saturday and Internet will be up and running on Monday morning.

We also see that you can prepare properly and then still have to be flexible. The plan was: leave on Saturday, enjoy Sunday, receive both storage shipments Monday and Tuesday, Ed inprocess Wednesday and Thursday, change of command on Friday. This is a move where there is no time in between assignments and we will quickly be in the full swing.

The little bump has been that on two separate days this week we found out the ball has been dropped in VA and CA and we'll be receiving nothing the week that we'd planned on settling in. God's plans are different and Ed and I are quickly course correcting expectations. I was going to start school on the 16th but it sounds like I'll be unpacking.

This morning I woke up early as my mind is swimming violently. I've had a quite moment in God's Word, a cup of tea, and a little time on the computer.

As I was thinking about preparations for packing, moving, and transitioning it made me think deeper.

Lord, please help me amidst the busyness and demanding schedule to prepare for the real things of this world. Help me prepare to honor you today, to love my man, and to whisper into the hearts of these precious children. Prepare me to continue to love others... and while you are there please teach me to love them more deeply.

Help me be a better daughter, sister, and friend...please prepare me for that. Prepare me to serve you more faithfully, to open our home widely without grumbling of the things that must be accomplished, and to encourage the families we are about to meet.

Prepare us to serve our country with fantastic energy that you provide. Prepare us for the moments of sadness that I know will come. We know with an entire base population some
tragedy will happen. Prepare us to minister, to claim your goodness boldly, and to give hope to those who don't know you.

Prepare us for what we don't know is around the corner. The fact that you do know gives me such peace...thank you for that peace. Thank you for going before us Lord and thank you for never making us go alone. Thank you, that no matter what state I am in, you are perfectly ready!

Love in Christ,
Dinah for the Troops