Monday, February 23, 2009

Why this strange list?

Dear family and friends,

Lisa and Jeff Russ are dear friends of ours from Italy. They are on island and we ran up on Friday to see Ed. As we were leaving for the commissary Ed said he had a list. Lisa was funny talking about how Jeff had never made a commissary list for her in his life but I didn't think a thing of it until I saw the contents. Ed was leaving for Alaska the next day so it didn't hit me as unusual as when he travels he often needs little odds and ends to take with him.

So the list claimed, "Earl Gray tea, London broil, English peas, and fish and sticks". I read it quickly and looked at my man in a quizzical manner. He brushed it off as, "I'll tell you later, it's office stuff, just get it." So everyone headed out and I headed straight back in asking what this was about as it was a strange list. "Read it again," he said with an enormous smile that was about to turn into a laugh. I'm now reading it the THIRD time and I proclaimed, "Now Ed if this were a moving year...Oh you've got to be kidding." Looking up and seeing his laughing grinning face confirmed it all. I'd follow this man anywhere, but He's making it really easy now isn't He. To God be the glory...

We are moving to London in December for a six month school that will be equivalent to War College (the Colonel's school). It was one of the craziest commissary trips I've ever had. First I'm there with my sweet friends which is just fun in and of itself. In the meantime I'm thinking about shipping cars, which cars, school, braces, Christmas plans, moving houses (we are supposed to move into another base house this summer), ect, ect, ect. I'm not sure my brain could have moved any faster.

I've been laying in bed now for two days with a migraine with plenty of time to sleep, pray, and think. The greatest thing about all of this...although a surprise to us, it's no surprise to Jesus who has this firmly laid and is fully in control.

So here we go again. I'm just as grateful that we have a full nine months to plan as I was that it happened in six weeks last year when we found out we were moving to Hawaii. God's timing...always perfect and right on time. It's always a challenge living firmly planted in the world you are in while preparing for the one that is to come. God's been giving me lots of opportunities to practice.

Love in Christ,
Dinah for The Troops

Caroline is making me a new web page with a Hawaii picture rather than the one I love from D.C., we've got to get a move on that now don't we.