Saturday, April 25, 2009

Facebook is an interesting place don't you think?

Dear family and friends,

I won't say that I'm up and running full speed, but I am getting there.

Being out of commission is always a struggle. It really makes me trust Jesus that everything that He wants done will be taken care of. My list goes on serious hold though and it just takes time to catch up. I'm so grateful that God's plans are NEVER on hold!

I have to briefly tell you the highlight of my week.

Facebook is an interesting place don't you think? It's funny the people that pop up, the things you remember, the relationships that are rekindled.

Often shallow, BUT NOT ALWAYS. If you know anything about Ed and I you know we love meat. Don't give us fluff unless it's completely necessary to get to the meat. I've really enjoyed Facebook but I do not want it to be a time sucker. I want it to be something fruitful in my life.

Facebook has kind of been a family event. Ed doesn't have a page and so there are times at dinner I will throw out different people and what I've found out about their lives. It has lead to wonderful conversations with our children, those opportunities we are just waiting and praying for.

It's even funnier how our children will know people minus their names. They all knew the boy who would choose Mommy first when we were in elementary school and we had quite a lively conversation one night over whether he was really just being a good friend or just thought Mommy was cute. Daddy swore up and down he though Mommy was cute, I didn't really care, I will forever be grateful to God for providing Todd Abbott so I wouldn't always be chosen last.

I've had a great opportunity this spring to pray for and with a dear friend from Montana who is also moving to Europe.

I LOVE getting to know these beautiful girls that Caroline is friends with and are so grateful they are glad to have Mrs. Thomas/Auntie Dinah on their pages. In Hawaii the children have Aunties...I LOVE BEING AN AUNTIE!

My favorite thing is when you have an opportunity to see what God has done (is doing) in peoples lives. We've found a blog of friend (through Facebook) who lost her husband a little over two years ago. Her story has greatly ministered to my heart. She's a walking mirror of God's provision. Without today's technology we really might not even know. The children and I faithfully prayed for her for 14 months after her husband died protecting our freedom in Iraq. It was so awesome to see that as God released me from praying for her she was diving deep into a new relationship that God clearly brought. It was even more awesome to see how God listens to prayer. How He delights and provides for His children. She is now married and continuing to heal because she serves the great healer.

I have another friend from high school who knew Jesus, but now is intimately and boldly walking with Him. Her words often inspire me to persevere in my own walk.

I hope I encouraged a young mother yesterday, continual opportunities.

Today...today I heard from a high school friend who now knows my Jesus. I had a conversation with her in my car so many years ago about Jesus and who He was in my life. I remember it vividly for two reasons.

First, I remember struggling with that moment of choosing obedience rather than comfort, choosing what was right rather than what she might think. If I hadn't obeyed, God would have brought someone else and I would have missed it, missed the whole blessing. I was blessed that night and I certainly was blessed today. What a privilege it is to share Jesus...

Secondly, I was late getting home and knew if I was in trouble anyway it would be one of those few times that would be worth it. Of course my Dad was very understanding and encouraged me in the opportunity.

It makes me think...what am I doing today that will have impact in the future? I do not want to live out life somehow, but victoriously. I don't want to miss the blessings. I don't want to sit where it's comfortable. I do not want to be complacent.

It's obviously not about Facebook, but using whatever opportunities we have to love people for Jesus. I am so grateful for how God continues to pursue my heart, how He helps me grow in these things. I could never do these things on my own...

Love in Christ,
Dinah for The Troops