Sunday, October 25, 2009

What was the highlight of Okinawa?

Jefferson soaking in John's sermon...we don't normally let our children sleep during church but jet lag is certainly the exception.

Some of the yummiest soup I've ever had!

Not only was the food wonderful, but so was the entertainment.

The Thomas Troops and the Reimer family. Only missing Jillian who is in Oklahoma. The Reimers have hands down been the highlight of Okinawa.

This is where we ate. It's fun just driving up and down the streets as it looks so different than America.


Dear family and friends,
Shortly after I wrote the last blog entry we bumped into an interesting situation. After we departed from the plane and got all of our bags ready to roll, I looked up and everyone had left. There we were alone, not even with overhead lights, in the baggage terminal not really sure what we were supposed to do next. I started making a few phone calls and during that time a marine showed up to look at and stamp our passports.

He showed us where the main terminal was for which we were grateful. This is the point that can certainly bring a little pressure and where I really have to trust God. I quickly verified where we were staying as Ed had made the arrangements. I also found there was no shuttle and attempted to call a taxi and share what we needed. We have four duffel bags that together weight 199 lbs. We also are carrying a violin, a camera bag, two purses, a sleeping bag, two backpacks, two carry on bags, and a shoulder bag. I was adamant about traveling light when we went to New Zealand but I wasn't so successful this time.

I'm very aware that we could end up in one place waiting to get out and that means we're pulling 70 lbs of school books as I don't really have school days to waste. I'd planned a few weeks for this trip as far as school goes, but there is certainly work to be done if needed.

We are also travelling through several climates. Guam was summer, Okinawa is rainy and windy but not really winter, Tokyo is cold, and Alaska can be Montana like. This means slippers (Hawaiian word for sandals/flip flops), boots, tennis shoes, ect. I tried to pack as light as possible and even rearranged the last day to only take four suitcases rather than five. We look like a very organized traveling circus. Everyone knows what they are to carry and the children do a fine job. It's quite a site though...maybe I'll get a picture for you.

So all this to say that there was no way we were going to fit in one taxi. I didn't know if they could send a van or send two taxi's. As I was trying to communicate all of this as precisely as possible, I was told, "five minutes," and the conversation ended.

I had the troops rally and we started moving our brigade to the door. Now it's also raining outside so walking wasn't an option. The children are quite funny talking about their mother tramping across Air Bases with our little moving show. I haven't yet, but they know it's always a possibility.

I was feeling better at this point, I always feel better once I have a plan. Then I saw her...Sherry Reimer walking towards us with a beautiful smile on her face. What a sight for sore eyes. John and Sherry are friends of ours from Colorado. We knew they had moved here several years ago. We also knew they had retired from the Marine Corps in order for John to pastor a church here to military families. The night before I had facebooked their oldest daughter in Oklahoma hopeful to get a phone number. Jillian had passed on my message and Sherry had not only found out our flight, but brought the church van!

God always provides in one way or another for which I am so grateful. Sherry proceeded to welcome us with hugs and laughter and sweet joy from the Lord. First things first, procure the mother some caffeine. Next she helped us settle in and then extended a gracious invitation to our children to come and join the church at their harvest festival. They were so excited and ready to go.

So here I was in Japan waiting for my sweet husband to arrive so we could have an evening to ourselves. A date night in Japan, now how's that for provision. My sweet man ordered a taxi and took me to Chili's! Not to worry we had a wonderful Japanese meal today. Chili's is my old time favorite though and I love to eat there wherever we go that it is available.

This time last week Okinawa was no where on my scope. It's been a precious time of dear fellowship and encouragement, filled with people we love...worshipping with Koza Baptist Church was priceless!

There are three planes that head tomorrow night to Yakota, Japan. They all have 10 seats, so we'll just see. God's plan is better, and Okinawa is sure proof!

Love in Christ,
Dinah for The Troops