Saturday, October 24, 2009

Who's this trip about?

Wyatt's photo in Guam...I've got quite the crew of little photographers.

There were only two cars available to rent. The car with the trunk REEKED of smoke so we opted for the hatchback. Caroline's lap was just as full. The children were great sports!

This picture doesn't begin to do this sight justice. I've never seen anything like it. I even got to see a large freighter that looked like a tiny monopoly piece.



Dear family and friends,

We are back in the friendly skies and this time we are getting to see out the back of a KC-10. These children are having a fantastic time collecting military aircraft that they’ve flown in. It’s like bringing an air show to life. The window in the boom was larger than the KC-135 but the sky is obviously endless everyday. I don’t know that my eyes have personally seen a better example of the vastness of God. We are flying at 40,000 feet and I could clearly see the ocean below only laced with a few clouds close to the surface. Wyatt would rather not have airline seats to contain him as he prefers sitting strapped up to the wall, but we were ALL EXTREMELY grateful to make this flight.

When we hit the ground running my first course of action is to check the flight schedule for when we can leave as you really have to stay on top of this Space A adventure. The second order of business is securing a warm clean room and transportation. We flew in Thursday afternoon (Guam’s Thursday/Hawaii’s Wednesday…the children enjoy jokes like, “Mommy, you haven’t fed us since yesterday.”) to find no flights out Thursday or Friday. One mission was leaving today and two tomorrow, but then nothing until Wednesday. When I realized how sparse it could be getting out, oh howdy did I start praying. Not just that we would get out, but how I would handle it if we didn’t. Great exercise in trusting in the Sovereignty of God I might add.

Guam was beautiful, a lot like Hawaii although there was much more open space than our island. I was tickled pink that my favorite Pacific island tree was out our window. The water was beautiful, the sky was immense. We laughed this morning driving back onto base that if you didn’t have the palm trees it looked just like Montana. I love to hear my children laugh.

Yesterday we had a phenomenal meal, tootled around the island, and could hardly wait to try Banana Coconut Fritters for dessert last night. They were yummy by the way. Jefferson was dead set on Banana and Coconut Cream Pie, just like Gilligan.

My sweet friend Tricia Boles had given me suggestions for our stay, for which I was grateful. If we’d had another day we would have spent it at the National Park. Did you know that in Guam a Japanese soldier was hiding in a cave he dug out, and a farmer discovered him in 1972? Can you imagine?

So here’s the question that I’ve been wrestling with all fall. Before I tell you the question I just want to announce that I “know” the answer. I even believe the answer. Yet I’ve been struggling like the man in Mark, “I believe Lord, help me believe.” Does God really have everything fully in control, is He sovereign? Well, of course He is. Then why is it often so hard to walk the process. Flying Space A is definitely an opportunity to walk the process. God could have wanted us to stay in Guam until Wednesday. His bigger picture is trustworthy. He is so patient with me. He’s already told me this trip is about Him.

Last night we were told that there were only 6 seats available for today’s flight. Okay, lets do the math….there are five us, plus one, makes not great odds to get on an airplane to Kadena AB today. I even had someone tell me last night they wouldn’t bother coming out. Jesus and I had some sweet moments last night. Not just taking my request to God, but asking him to align my heart to His plans.

We’ve had a lot of unknowns since we found out we were leaving Hawaii. I don’t necessarily like unknowns. I want to know my cards, even if they are hard. This year has been a huge spiritual exercise for me. Trusting God with the unknowns, and claiming what I do know. I know there is nothing ahead that is not already known to God. No surprises for my master. It doesn’t matter that I don’t know where I’ll be this time next year, or next week for that matter. He has it all under control. He knew there would be six seats today and that He’d already written our names all over five of them.

Thank you Lord for being fully in control. Thank you for the opportunity to be living out, in front of our children, what we say we believe. Thank you for being trust worthy. Thank you for these amazing children. Thank you for a husband who longs to hold me in Japan tonight. Thank you for five seats. Thank you for letting me see your sky in a new way, I have no concept of your vastness, yet as of today I have a new brighter picture. Thank you for a young lady, who happens to be our daughter, gently reminding me Monday what I’m teaching her. God you are never late, and never early…thank you for being right on time!

Love in Christ,
Dinah for The Troops