Sunday, November 16, 2008

Can Fridays get better than this?



Dear family and friends,

Friday was a big day for The Thomas Troops. Ed pinned on Colonel. As I was putting a silver eagle on his shoulder all I could think about was pinning on a butter bar in May of 1990. I had no idea what Ed had really asked when he asked me to pin him on that day. Ed was already planning on me doing all the pinning on in his life, I just didn't know it yet. I'm certainly grateful God did, and he'd even let Ed in on it. The Lord just knew I wasn't quite ready for that information yet, although it came quickly after.

God is so good to just let us know what we can handle. I'm grateful He gives us little bits of information on a need to know basis.

To God be the glory, great things He has done.

Love in Christ,
Dinah

P.S.-My pictures aren't uploading and Ed's in Japan...sorry about the delay. For anyone who was praying for our children singing The National Anthem at their Daddy's ceremony...Thank you! It was a beautiful opportunity for them to honor God, their earthly father, and their country. My children singing three parts together, almost as beautiful as the heartbeats I first heard when they were safely tucked inside me.



Isn't he handsome! God was so good to provide this wonderful cake. I didn't want just a normal sheet cake but felt very limited by the whole island thing. God had this cake in store, for which I was grateful.



This is a special picture for at least two reasons. First of all, after 18 years of being in the military I had my very own spot. It may never happen again and I just enjoyed every minute of it. Parking isn't always convient here and since I had this very heavy cake (my man couldn't get over how heavy it was), a parking spot was arranged. So, it wasn't that I was special, or that my sweet husband was getting promoted, it was simply because I was the cake girl, and I can live with that.

The second reason it is special is because if you look at the building behind my name, for those of you who can get past my name, you can see where bullets hit the building the day Pearl Harbor was attacked. The PACAF (Pacific Air Force) headquarters was a dorm at that time and over 60 men were killed in it. They choose to not restore the pock marks, a vivid reminder. There is a beautiful memorial garden in the courtyard and the flag that flew over Hickam that grave day is respectfully displayed.