Thursday, November 27, 2008

How do you make your apple pie?

Dear family and friends,

I certainly have a heart of gratitude to Jesus tonight. He has been so gracious to me. How He loves a sinner such as I, I do not know, I"m just eternally grateful that He does.

Tonight I was making my apple pie laughing at myself. I don't know that I"ve ever made the exact same pie all these years. I wasn't really given a recipe, just "you add about this and throw in about that". So that's what I do. Some years it's better than others, we'll have to wait and see tomorrow how it turns out.

Tomorrow we have two precious families coming over to dine with us. The Beasley's are friends (Ed's boss, wife, and precious daughter) of ours from Montana. They are on a little Hawaiian vacation and gracious enough to come and spend the day with us. They are bringing parents also, which is a treat as we are always grateful for a set of grandparents to grace the day. Our neighbors are also coming...our Hawaiian family. The Waters are here without Daddy this year and we are just so grateful they are an important part of our lives here in Hawaii. Emily is a great neighbor and just continues to love us good, bad, and ugly. You see all three when you live this close.

We're having Mexican food which is our favorite Thanksgiving meal. Hats off to all you people who can eat turkey fifteen times a season, but I can't. The first year we were married we had it so many times that we decided we were a Mexican Thanksgiving kind of family. We've done all different kinds over the years. The children have just made us taco's the past few years which has been a delight. This year we are sporting Fajitas with homemade tortilla's, hot sauce, and guacamole. Emily is bringing yummy turkey enchilada's. We'll end our day with traditional dessert.

I've never eaten a holiday meal on paper plates, but there is just a first time for everything. We are eating outside in our little island paradise and I just didn't want my good dishes over concrete with so many children.

It's been a warm week, but it has still felt like Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is an attitude of the heart, not cold weather and turkey's.

Happy Thanksgiving to all...please know that tomorrow we will be thanking God for the amazing families and dear friends that God has so generously placed in our lives...

Love in Christ,
Dinah for The Troops


This is the picture that I was talking about...I just love it!