Saturday, November 22, 2008

Have you watched the Flintstones lately?

Dear family and friends,

MY MAN IS HOME...I am so grateful! He had a good week in Japan, Wyatt was able to take his Math test yesterday (another stressful part of my week), and we had a wonderful evening last night.

We love the little church that we are going. We haven't joined as of yet, but we've been going there since the beginning of September. It's in the community, which is a plus as it's our main opportunity to get to know people who live on the island. The teaching is dynamic, the people have been very welcoming, and the music takes me straight to the throne week after week. The only downside is that it's about 25 minutes away. For all you city folk, I know that's nothing, but for those of us who live on an island, it's a long ways away.

Last night we were able to go with our church down to a homeless shelter. They go down and serve every other month. Wyatt had seen it in the bulletin and continued to remind me that it was coming up, so we just secured the night on the calendar.

It was such a great experience, such a great opportunity to serve. On the way down there we reminded them about being part of a team, which includes that you do what the team needs, not just what you would like to do. Caroline was a greater, Ed carried the big trays to serve, Wyatt was a drink runner, and I folded forks and napkins for Jesus along with the younger children. They go through 800 forks a day and have to fold them in a specific way in order that people don't touch anyones forks.

At the end of the evening we gathered as a group and when we were asked if anyone wanted to share their blessing of the evening Wyatt proclaimed his gratefulness to his parents for providing food, clothing, and shelter. Caroline offered to close us in prayer when they asked for a volunteer. I was deeply blessed by our children last night. I saw a glimpse of the young adults that God is raising them up to be. At the end of the evening Wyatt told me, "Mom, maybe this is what I can do when I grow up, I would love to do this." I would be a very pleased mother to see my son serve others. No matter what God calls these children to do, may they love and serve Him deeply.

Melanee Kate and Jefferson watched the Flinstones last night. We'll take them next time. Kate's heart is so tender and we didn't know the younger children would be in the back folding napkins and forks for Jesus. She asked not to go and we certainly understood. Once we were home she hugged me and said, "Mommy, I always loved the Flinstones when we lived in Italy, but I was little, and I didn't know that Fred is really a big jerk."

Love to all...In Him,
Dinah for The Troops