Thursday, January 29, 2009

Why are these youth so amazing?



Dear family and friends,

So there we are sitting in the night market in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I've been thinking through how in the world do I begin to share about these amazing youth that I was with. Of course, they are only amazing, because Jesus is amazing, and He is doing amazing things in their hearts and lives.

I saw this picture today and quickly fell in love with it. Normal, ordinary people, just sitting in Thailand. It's not even a fantastic picture, but it's just the picture for me as it is a small sample of people that I love and have served with. Jesse Coleman would feel labored to read "Mrs. Thomas's" description of all 41 people on our trip. I could quickly cut it down to 39 as so many know of Caroline and I. So here is a smattering, just a taste of His goodness...You're welcome Jesse.

The first two girls on the left are my two year old hero's as they were there with me every minute of serving those little ones. Amy and Ashley Rose are both BEAUTIFUL girls who love Jesus. They both served me again and again on this trip, even when it wasn't convenient. Amy was my a huge part of my elephant experience and Ashley Rose is blossoming in ways that even she does not know. They are both dear to my heart...

Sarah is next to Ashley Rose (third in on left) and her sister Emily is across from her (first on right). These girls do not cease to amaze me. They remind me of young maidens from a romantic time of long ago. These sisters are precious and a joy to watch...I know Jesus boldly agrees.

Luke is next to Emily and I love that Luke is messing with his camera in this picture, as this is certainly one of the gifts that God has given him. It was fun watching him. Luke is a young man, not a boy, and it was so neat watching him in this capacity.

The couple next to Luke are David and Lindsey. I'm sorry that David's not looking at the camera. They are engaged to be married next summer. I thought one hundred times if I thought once, "Oh I wish Wyatt could see David!" I observed David serving when there was cost involved. Not just the gentlemanly, "No you go first", that I delight in when seen in my growing boys but a man's sacrifice...willing to be cold and hungry because it's the right thing to do and because it honor's God.

Lindsey of course has a piece of my heart as she has been so kind to my Caroline. You influence my children through words and actions and I will just love you forever. She is a lovely young woman who lives out what she believes. By His grace, she stands firm.

Then Corinne and I are in the back corner. Corinne is my dear friend, who became dearer with every minute of this trip. Oh how this woman makes me laugh. Honesty is her forte which is one of her qualities that originally drew me to her. We had the privilege of good, bad, and ugly...which is the best as far as friends go. The ones that will love you anyway...

I would love to introduce you to each and everyone on our team. We are not extraordinary people, just people who love Jesus and know that He can use us despite ourselves. To watch these youth serve, love, stretch, and grow...an honor I cannot explain...

Love in Christ,
Dinah for The Troops

By the way the Americans wondering in the back of the picture are some of the other 31 that I was not able to introduce you to.