Monday, January 5, 2009

Just for one day?

Dear family and friends,

I had the privilege of marrying Ed Thomas on January 5th, 1991. I know and love this date well. Some of you were there, others have heard about it. If you know me at all, you know I am wildly in love with my amazing husband. So why do I have the hardest time remembering how many years we've been married?

February of 1992 we'd just celebrated our 1st anniversary the month before. Someone, somewhere, asked my Ed how long we'd been married. He confidently answered, "Almost two years!" It left me quickly calculating as Ed just doesn't get things like that wrong. I waited for a moment to whisper, "Darlin', it's only been a little over one year." In which he replied so tenderly, "Ahh, but it already feels like almost two." I just thought this was the sweetest thing, my husband loved me so much and loved being married to me that it already felt like more.

So for many years as soon as February came, it was almost the next year. Well, years went by and "almost" crept into January, he wouldn't even wait. For the past several years he's waited for a week or so. Today Ed asked, "Can you believe that tomorrow we'll be married almost 19 years?" From now on, I get to be married for that number for just one day then we are off to almost the next number...I think it's a great plan don't you? My smart husband came up with it all by himself.

The bummer is that when some stranger asks how long I've been married it takes me a minute. I can't remember because I'm quickly calculating and trying to remember "Is this how long we've actually been married or how long we've almost been married?" They think I'm one of those people who just doesn't care to remember, but that's okay we'll just let them think what they want.

Tonight we went with our four children to see Tops in Blues (http://www.topsinblue.com/). They are "an all-active duty US Air Force special unit made up of talented amateur performers selected for their entertainment abilities." That's the official line, and boy howdy can they sing and dance. The first time we saw them perform was in Italy. Caroline was four. They are a great Air Force tradition that we love. You should check out their website and find a show near you in 2009...it's free and they sing literally all over the world! By the way, this is not a free Public Affairs (where Ed serves in our Air Force) announcement as they do not belong to Public Affairs, but Services.





Anyway, there we were...at one point they were singing a love song and I just shut my eyes for a minute. Finally Ed squeezed my hand and questioned whether I was thinking of him. I giggled and told him sorry, but I was talking to Jesus.

This is the best part, because as wonderful as our marriage is, and it is wonderful...it doesn't begin to touch my relationship with Jesus! No one in the world can have my man, but anyone can have my Saviour...

Love in Christ,
Dinah for The Troops