Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Just how fast are we?

My lily white face in Thailand!

Dear family and friends,

When you are receiving a child at a nursery you listen intently for any important information. This information may be imperative to the child's comfort and safety or your comfort and safety for that matter. I've been told many things over the year...he only sucks this finger, she has already had a nap, please put him down this way, she will say this if she wants that, ect, ect, ect. Great info that I've given myself. It's important...

I personally think this one beats them all. "Oh, and just so you know, he's not really used to white people." Now this was said by a lily white father about his lily white son. It just caught me off guard. This darling little boy lives with his parents in a small remote village in an Asian country. I didn't know this at the moment, and I'm just thinking, I can't really help or change being white at the moment. God was of course good, as He knew what this baby needed. I got down at his level and we took our time.

Later in the week I had a wonderful opportunity to talk to the precious mother of this precious baby and this is what she said, "Ian's really had a hard time with white people (I'm assuming American's). They quickly come and go, give him a tussle, and are off to the next thing. In our village the people always get down on his level and wait for him. They do things when he's ready, when he's warmed up."

I was so grateful to really enjoy this little one and I'm grateful to report that he loved me, lily white and all. I hope I represented the white race well to this beautiful child. It's really made me think though...we do move very fast, and not always with purpose.

Love in Christ,
Dinah for The Troops

P.S.-Math tests are in, back on track with writing, dog is still here, and Ed's coming home on Thursday. Caroline is still slowly recovering, Wyatt's mouth is horribly sore from rubber bands, Melanee Kate has been sleeping with the dog nightly, and Jefferson took a five hour nap yesterday...Grammy just wore that boy out!

I have added a few pictures to other post from Thailand.