Thursday, January 8, 2009

Now why would you ask a 14 year old that?

Dear family and friends,

Today I was working on organizing and finishing my packing. I could leave in 20 minutes flat if I had to. Tomorrow I'm working on finshing all that I want to do for the home team.

Over Christmas we introduced our children to Star Trek. We are not big television fans although we LOVE movies. One of the few shows that we have watched and enjoyed over the years is Star Trek: The Next Generation. I hated Star Trek as a little girl, my brother made me watch it. Well, he didn't tie me down or anything, but if I wanted to watch tv it was that or nothing. Most of the time I choose nothing, but every once in while I was desperate.

The first year we married we met Susan and Jeff Dunn. They lived around the corner, went to our church, were in the Air Force, and loved Jesus. We had no idea how much they would bless us. They had no idea there would never be a chance to get rid of us. One of the things we loved to do was go over to their house on Saturday nights, eat hot dogs, and watch Star Trek. We also ate a lot of fudge pie that fall as I remember it. How they ever talked me into it, I don't know (Star Trek, not the fudge pie). It must have been Susan. I quickly discovered I loved it!

All of that to say...we now have the home team and the "away team".

So later in the afternoon I was finishing up and trying to make sure I had my traveling clothes all together. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal but it has been for several reasons.

First I only have one pair of pants that reach the floor. We've lived in Hawaii since March and all my fall/winter clothings are in a storage unit in the luggage (how Jefferson refers to the rest of our household goods). I have one pair of Levi's and this is not how I want to travel. Jeans are comfortable standing in the kitchen, but not sitting on a plane. So I had to go to Ross and buy a pair of pants.

Secondly I've been wearing flipflops and sandals for the last nine months plus. Several weeks ago I wore one of the few closed toe/heel shoes that I have here for the very first time since we've been on the island. They were miserable and had to be thrown away. They were SOAKED in the snow and rain on our trip to NYC last February and apparently after sitting for nine months they are shot. So I also had to go out and find a pair of shoes.

The last complication is that Caroline and I are going to have to suffer and spend a day in Tokyo on the way home, anything for Jesus. They have winter and therefore you need winter clothes. The other reason why I needed long pants. This meant that my close toed/heel shoes also have to be comfortable as I'm going to be walking in a big city for hours.

God has been good and provided all. Several weeks ago I found a pair of pants that I love that look like something a dear friend of mine would wear. Last weekend I found a pair of shoes that I think are going to be GREAT. Cute and comfortable can sometimes be hard to find. I even bought a new coat, we borrowed a very hip one for Caroline.

So I'm trying all of this on and when I asked my precious daughter, "So how does this look?" I got a stare that I knew all to well. I remember clearly one particular time my own dear mother asked me this question. I knew she was having a moment of what do I say? How do I say this? I can't lie to my mother, but she does not look like the hip chick she must have once been.

So I called my mother this afternoon, of course I got distracted and couldn't remember what I called her for...I guess I am getting older. I finally remebered towards the end of the conversation. You know you are growing up when comfort and practicality come before your appearance. Don't get me wrong, I still care what I look like. I certainly want to represent my Lord well and I'm the only girl my Edward gets and I feel I have some sort of responsibility to him also. Although today when we ran out to split a $5 sub, I looked in the mirror on the way home to discover I didn't have a stitch of make up on, the second thing I forgot today. Ed didn't notice.

So here I am come evening thinking I'll just ask my man...Now why would ask a grown man that?

There are those moments in life you just have to be grateful for what you have, no matter what you look like.

Love in Christ,
Dinah for The Troops