Friday, January 30, 2009

What effort has to be made?

Dear family and friends,

Yesterday I was looking down at the floor of my shower in our bathroom. We live in a historic home here on Hickam AFB. I often wonder what the people were doing here the day Japan attacked.

Our house does not have central air or heat. They are starting renovations, but until 2013 we all have window units. Therefore we do not have a vent system in our house. The great thing is you have more privacy as I had no idea how much sound carries through vents until this home! The downside is you really have to go up and get your children as they really can't hear you, they aren't just conviently ignoring you. This info is important as it also means you have less ventilation, which means more mold and crud.

I was determined when we moved in that I would keep a clean shower. I've been pretty successful despite that it's not a complete priority. I just threw out the shower liner as it's a pretty deep shower and we're just going to go with out it to see how it goes. Ed announced this morning that it was a little colder in there. I proclaimed we live in Hawaii not Montana.

So all of this to say, I looked down and the tile on the floor near the shower liner was just kinda cruddy looking. I've been gone and they did a pretty good job, minus not watering my front plants. My first thought was, "Do I need to Tilex that?". Then I just grabbed a scrub brush and scrubbed. It came right up and washed away quickly with the water. All I could think was, "That was easy!"

So my next thought was this...how is this like my spiritual life? What things are right there, need to be done, take little effort, but the effort has to be made? Two seconds of scrubbing go a long way...Lord, help me scrub!

Love in Christ,
Dinah for The Troops